Friday, August 1, 2008

Nana

VINGOE, PHYLLIS ISOBEL - Passed away peacefully on July 25, 2008. Phyllis was born to Lottie and Duncan McLachlan, a pair of hardworking Scots, in North Bay, ON, on April 24, 1923. Her sister Myrtle Carr and brother Morris McLachlan still live in North Bay.

Phyllis was an excellent student and she graduated from high school at the age of 15. Although she did not have the opportunity to continue her "formal" education, Phyllis believed that one should never stop learning. She continued to be a voracious reader all her life.

Phyllis worked for the CPR in North Bay as a stenographer. It was here that she met Ted McCurry whom she married in 1952. They moved to Rothsay, NB, then to Toronto and finally to Galt, ON. After Ted died in 1978, Phyllis met and married Jack Vingoe and moved to Etobicoke. Jack died in 1981.

Phyllis was a strong woman who believed in the power of positive thinking. She lived independently in Etobicoke for many years. People would meet Phyllis once and remember her as "that tall, elegant woman". Phyllis loved to share her passion for ballet, literature, symphony, theatre, travel, bridge and golf with her wide circle of friends. But she was most special to her grandchildren Erin and Blair of whom she was so proud, her daughter Margot McCurry and son-in-law Allan Antcliffe. We will miss her greatly.

---

Phyllis Vingoe was my Nana; I am her only granddaughter. Like many people, I will remember her for her style and elegance, her poise and grace. However, these are not qualities I have always associated with my Nana (though I'm sure she always possessed them). But as young children we often don't give much weight to elegance. Instead, the quality I have longest associated with my Nana is love.

From my earliest memories I remember receiving so much love. She was so proud of us, her grandchildren, for even the smallest of accomplishments. We walked, read, played music and performed well in school to her constant delight. She was thrilled when I took up ballet and came to every performance.

It was not until she passed away that I noticed how many photos of us there are in her apartment. I know she loved us with all her heart, and that gave us the confidence to be the best we could be. I will carry her love in my heart always. And it is not for her elegance, but for her love, that I will always remember my Nana.

1 comment:

Steph said...

I'm sorry about your Nana, Erin. It sounds like she was an amazing woman. My thoughts and prayers are with your family, but it sounds like there is a lot of love around to help get you through things.