Friday, May 9, 2008

Money Update

Just a quick note: thank you to everyone who has donated to my placement! It makes a world of difference not only to receive monetary support, but also to know that you have confidence in me and the work I will undertake this summer. So far I've raised about $500 from friends and family, which is a significant amount considering the cost of living in Ghana is only about $11/day. I've also received funding from a few other sources, including CIDA (in the form of a travel bursary), as well as Dr. Pearl Sullivan, head of the Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering at the University of Waterloo. Thank you for your support as well!

Time is beginning to speed up as the day of my departure gets closer and closer. On Sunday evening I will fly out of the Toronto Airport, landing first in London, then in Accra, the capital of Ghana. I can't wait to step off the plane into the heat and bustle of one of Africa's great cities. I will be staying in Accra for about 3 days while I complete my training with WUSC on their development projects in Ghana. Then I will be heading into Ghana's northern regions, by way of Kumasi and hopefully a quick stop in Tamale. This will take a couple of days as well, as the roads and buses can be unpredictable and breakdowns are almost guaranteed. But eventually I will arrive at my new home in Jirapa, well-prepared and ready to start work!

In the meantime, I am busily packing, shopping and saying goodbye to friends and family. Three months away is not long, but it still feels as though there is so much preparation to be done. If I didn't get a chance to say goodbye, please know that it is nothing personal. And I'll be back in no time at all!

I may have only occasional access to the internet during the summer, so if you write me an email and don't hear back for a couple of weeks, don't fear. I will also be buying a cell phone when I arrive, and I'll let you know as soon as I have a number in case you want to call. I would love to hear from everyone, whether it is by phone, email or comments on this blog. As I said before, your support means so much to me and I know it will be even more comforting once I am in a new environment, so far away from home.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Air! I didn't realize you were leaving so soon!!! Have a great time and give me your address when you get one!